Work began on Monday on the development of a man-made island in Dubai, 500 metres directly opposite the Jumeirah Beach Residence complex. To be known as Bluewaters Island, the new development will house five star hotels and resorts, al fresco dining and entertainment zones, and residential apartments and villas. The focal point of the island city, which will cost $1.6 billion, will be a 688 ...
To promote India as a " Filming Destination", Union Tourism Minister K Chiranjeevi will inaugurate incredible India exhibition at the 66th Cannes film festival in France today. The joint participation of the Ministry of Tourism and Ministry of Information and Broadcasting at the festival is consequent to their entering into a Memorandum of Understanding to promote Cinema of India as a sub ...
Boeing 787s back in the air.The planes are returning after being grounded for four months by the federal government because of smoldering batteries on 787s owned by other airlines. The incidents included an emergency landing of one plane and a fire on another.The incidents never caused any serious injuries. But the January grounding ...
A "Blue Marble" image of the Earth taken from the VIIRS instrument aboard NASA's Earth-observing satellite -- Suomi NPP. This composite image uses a number of swaths of the Earth's surface taken on Jan. 4, ...
The Hawaiian Islands are full of beauty and steeped with cultural traditions passed down from one generation to the next. TODAY's Willie Geist reports on how native Hawaiians are working to keep hula dancing, the Hawaiian language, and more ...
9°C Scattered Clouds
Winds: From the East at 6 MPH
Adaptation. is an absurdist black comedy and brilliantly sustained meta-joke on the modern entertainment industry. Screenwriter Charlie Kaufman (Being John Malkovich, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind) plays with the age-old idea of making an unfilmable book into a movie by doing just that with Susan Orleans 1994 bestseller The Orchid Thief, with the joke being that the ... ...
Poi, the purple paste made from taro root, is a staple in native Hawaiian diets and a large part of the culture. Daniel Anthony, a Hawaiian poi expert, demonstrates how to prepare the ...
hawaiian islands so we thought we'd give you a taste of what you can expect as you visit each one. brian brusch is a travel expert and expert on all ...
Sen. Charles Schumer is asking airlines to reverse recent decisions to increase flight change fees. The New York Democrat said on Sunday that higher fees recently implemented by Delta Air Lines, ...
Luxury small-ship line Crystal is taking a lead from the fast-food industry, offering discounts on combo packages. But instead of burgers, fries and a drink, cruisers will get a price break on Turkey, ...
The official who oversees the three high-profile New York City passenger airports will step down this summer, leaving behind a unique legacy in USA's biggest aviation market. Sue Baer became the first ...
Reported in the press
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Wyndham Miami Beach Resort
First impressions are so important for a hotel guest's stay. Ironically when one thing goes wrong early on inevitably a ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Vancouver StarVancouver Star | Late Breaking News in Vancouver and BC
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Vancouver news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Vancouver Star is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Vancouver.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Vancouver weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Vancouver Star is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
While much of the discussion about climate change focuses on the threat of future sea level rise, scientists at the University of British Columbia say warmer global temperatures have been affecting the world's oceans and fisheries for some 40 years.
They used known temperature preferences of fish and other marine species as a sort of "thermometer" to gauge the extent of the change, and they saw a gradual migration of fish species away from the equator into cooler, deeper waters.
The researchers analyzed data from global fisheries from 1970 to 2006 and found the catch was increasingly dominated by warm-water species. Lead author William Cheung notes that while boats off the northeastern coast of the U.S. were catching new species typically found closer to the tropics, "in the tropics, climate change meant fewer marine species and reduced catches, with serious implications for food security."
The study of the changes in fish distribution worldwide as a result of climate change is published in this month's Nature.
- Large rally places job demands on Italian government
- Americans happier with economic figures
- Work starts on creation of new Dubai island
- Financial Times allegedly hacked by Syrians
- Target looks for new ideas from digital world
- Anglo to build R5m solar PV system at Kriel colliery
- Waterberg ordered to issue supplementary bidder’s statement in Firestone takeover
- Zimbabwe mining chamber criticises minerals proposals
- Indias SAIL sees 30 jump in coking coal imports post expansion
- Freeport Plains sweeten takeover deal with dividends
- Menu labeling lowers caloric intake
- Gwyneth Paltrow a big-time foodie
- Cornell Study Finds U.S. Restaurants Diving into Social Media
- Heartland Payment Systems Introduces First Single-Point Food Safety Monitoring Solution for Restaurants
- GrubHub Seamless combine in food delivery deal
- Measles surges in UK years after flawed research
- How to Manage Seasonal Allergies
- AstraZeneca closes in on site for new home in Cambridge
- Court woman can seek lawyer fees in vaccine case
- UK tries out new model for gene testing in cancer patients
- Yahoos $1.1bn Tumblr gamble is a power bet on native advertising
- EXCLUSIVE Pittsburgh ad agencies may merge
- Yahoo makes Tumblr deal official Video
- The 10 Most Generous Marketing Geniuses
- Space trilogy episode 3 Star Wars Weekends slideshow
- Country music superstar will perform at Kansas Star Casino
- Hangout Music Festival A Summer Soundtrack
- Music Review Darius Rucker settles into country sound on new album True Believers
- Alan Jackson Returns to Australia for Arena Festival Dates
- HOT DISH Kenny Chesney Rocks the Rafters in Dallas
- Alfredsson Brown Toews named finalists for Messier leadership award
- UAE First Arab Country to Receive Full Membership of International Ice Hockey Federation
- Penguins jump on Senators in series opener 4-1
- Bruins top Rangers 5-2 with all-out effort
- Bruins Rangers to carry on Boston-New York lore
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Vancouver Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- British Columbia man 22 believed kidnapped in Mexico
- Canadian on EI shut out amid foreign worker influx
- A Vancouver MP not shocked but concerned with the Senate expense scandal
- Fleetwood Mac rekindles the classics in Vancouver
- West Vancouver landslide leads to steep bill for homeowner