New Zealand Energy Minister Simon Bridges announced the award of 10 new oil and gas exploration permits Thursday as part of Block Offer 2013, which covers five onshore blocks across Taranaki and the East Coast and five offshore permits aross the Reinga-Northland, Taranaki, and Great South-Canterbury Basins. The 10 permits represent approximately $51 million (NZD 62 million) in committed ...
In a wide ranging conversation with Rick Rule, Robert Friedland discussed among other things, the mining cycle, the need not to punish creatives and institutional ...
The Agreement defines an "Exploration Area" which excludes those parts of PL161 and PL162 which relate to the Hatfield Moor and Hatfield West gas storage facilities, both operated by ...
Mineral sleuth Rox Resources has raised $2.4 million for exploration programs and working capital in a share purchase plan, the company announced today. The funds will be made available for Rox's Northern Territory and Western Australia programs, notably for the WA Camelwood nickel sulphide site, of which they recently announced the discovery of larger mineral deposits 500 metres south of ...
THE mining boom is far from over, and Australia's miners must calm down when it comes to their austerity drives, says outgoing mining lobbyist Mitch ...
-3°C Scattered Clouds
Winds: From the North at 2 MPH
It wasn't until the final credits were rolling that I realized I never knew the names of the lead characters in John Carney's Once, which he describes as an art house musical. The guy and girl played by real-life Irish singer-songwriters Glen Hasard and Markta Irglov are never explicitly named ... ...
Vancouver StarVancouver Star | Late Breaking News in Vancouver and BC
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Vancouver news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Vancouver Star is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Vancouver.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Vancouver weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Vancouver Star is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
Pennsylvania most likely would be the biggest beneficiary from Range Resources Corp.'s attempt to sell West Texas drilling land, according to analysts who follow the ...
LOS ANGELES (MarketWatch) -- After a brief respite from the selling, gold prices continued their push lower on Thursday, throwing water on the notion that the prior session's rally marked the beginning of a short-covering spree into the home stretch of the ...
The spot price for South African charge chrome (48-52% Cr) was assessed at 83-84 cents/pound CIF China Friday, down from 83-85 cents/lb CIF China assessed the previous week, amid slow demand. The spot price of Indian-origin high carbon ferrochrome (58-60% Cr) held steady week on week at 84-85 cents/lb CIF Friday. This week, a South African producer sold about 1,000 mt of charge chrome to a ...
Dec. 4, 2013 /CNW/ - Callinan Royalties Corporation ('Callinan', the 'Company') (TSXV: CAA) reports that all resolutions presented at the annual and special meeting of shareholders of Callinan Royalties Corporation held ...
Dec. 5, 2013 /CNW Telbec/ - Galaxy Resources Limited (ASX:GXY) ("Galaxy" or the "Company"), announces that it has given notice to Computershare Investor Services Inc to close the Company's Canadian Ordinary Share Register ("Canadian Register") held by Computershare Canada. The effective date of the termination and closing of the Canadian Register ...
Lorilee Kozuska who will no longer be the Company's CFO. The Board of Directors wishes to thank Ms. Kozuska for her contributions to the ...
Nepalese customs officials seized 17 kilos of gold on Wednesday as two Chinese and a Nepalese national attempted to smuggle the bullion in juice cans from Tibet to Nepal. Officials say that official imports of gold have declined recently ...
* Copper prices seen easing in quiet market -Triland* Stronger ADP jobs data sparks short-covering -trader* Coming up: ECB interest rate decision at 1245 GMTBy Melanie BurtonSINGAPORE, Dec 5 (Reuters) - London copper slipped on Thursday from a nine-day high hit in the previous session, as a short-covering rally triggered by surprisingly robust U.S. jobs data ran out of steam.Copper prices ...
three men are dead after a confrontation between Porgera gold mine workers and illegal miners in Papua New Guinea. Police were sent to investigate a report that two illegal miners had died after falling into the pit. Upon arrival of the police at the the mine, fighting allegedly broke out between the two groups of miners. "There was this confrontation from the illegal miners, those who ...
QUEBEC -- Martine Ouellet, Quebec's natural resources minister, plans to present a new bill in the National Assembly on Thursday to amend the province's Mining Act.The present law gives a mining company the power to stake a claim anywhere minerals are found, including in residential areas, and provides environmental protection that environmentalists deem inadequate.These issues would ...
Reported in the press
When it comes to Iran's nuclear weapons program, the only difference between them is this: Ahmadinejad was a wolf in wolf's clothing, Rouhani is a wolf in sheep's clothing, a wolf who thinks he can pull the wool over the eyes of the international community.
The chief lobbyist for the National Retail Federation was speaking about talks to end the U.S. government shutdown.
Have Your Say
How well is the U.S. Congress performing in its efforts to re-open the U.S. government?
News ReleasesThe Vancouver Star.com News Release Publishing Service provides a medium for circulating your organization's news.
Comfort Hotel Portrush
I arrived into Portrush, after a journey from Belfast to Londonderry on the M2 Motorway. Having seen Londonderry I was ...Keep reading
The film adaptation of 'Fifty Shades of Grey' has commenced filming in Vancouver, it has been revealed.
E.L. James, the author, shared a photo featuring a slate during the 1st roll on Instagram with the caption "Action!"
According to E!Online, the producer, Dana Brunetti re-tweeted James' picture, and wrote that they were off.
Screenwriter Kelly Marcel also tweeted her well-wishes and wrote that she was thinking of team 50. (ANI)
- Ireland gets approval to reinstate beef exports to Japan
- Campaign to downsize Australian public broadcaster gathers steam
- Joint LNG purchase strategy being looked at by India and Japan
- Higher oil exports help US narrow trade deficit
- Internet search engine Google begins making own robots
- Statoil Woodside Among Winners in New Zealand 2013 Exploration Block Offer
- The keys to exploration success and mining the market – Friedland
- Egdon Resources signs Exploration Option and Farm-in Agreement PL161 and PL162
- Rox raises $2.4m for exploration programs
- Mining boom is new normal lobbyist
- Choir singing boosts your mental health
- Cancer survival in Britain the worst in Europe
- Toronto Mayor Ford may have tried to buy crack video police documents
- Less Physical Activity More TV for Todays Moms Study Finds
- New factory puts Iceland in biosimilar drugs race
- Advertising Recalling TVs Golden Age Stars Pitch Products Tied to Their Shows
- FTC asks whether rules needed for some Internet advertising
- World Bank asked to map out Thai SME promotions
- Weiss gets prime opportunity in Wings loss to Flyers
- NHL roundup Canadiens top Devils in shoot-out
- Flames top Coyotes in Giordanos return
- Flames upend Coyotes 4-1
- Mark Giordano scores in return from injury as Flames beat Coyotes 4-1
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Vancouver Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Review Pearl Jam comes alive with nostalgia-heavy show in Vancouver
- Shooting in Richmond B.C. sends man to hospital
- Emily Carr self-portrait donated to Vancouver Art Gallery
- Vancouver to oppose Kinder Morgan pipeline plans City will apply for intervener status
- Demolition near for 1891 building in Vancouvers old Japantown