NEW DELHI - India and Japan, both major energy fuel importers, are mulling joining forces while bidding for potential tenders for liquefied natural gas (LNG) supplies with an eye to beating down the high prices. Both the countries will work out a strategy in the next three months, Petroleum and natural gas secretary Vivek Rae told reporters on sidelines of the 8th Asia Gas Partnership Summit ...
WASHINGTON - The US trade deficit narrowed in October with oil sales helping exports rise 1.8 percent to a record high of $192.7 billion in October over previous month, the US Commerce Department has said. Bureau of Economic Analysis of the Department of Commerce announced Wednesday that total October exports of $192.7 billion and imports of $233.3 billion resulted in a 5.4 percent drop in ...
WASHINGTON - Internet search engine Google has acquired seven robotics companies in the past half a year and has begun the process of building its own robots that could undertake manufacturing and could be deployed in the supply chain sector. To start with Google has created a new robotics group under Andy Rubin, who was previously in charge of the Android operating system, and bought seven ...
BEIJING - China has awarded its first superfast 4G telecommunications licences to three mobile phone companies. Designed to give mobile phone users faster access to the internet services, the first set of licenses were granted by the government to China Mobile, China Unicom Hong Kong and China Telecom. It is not as yet clear if any rollout conditions have been attached to the licences, or ...
BRUSSELS - The European Union has slapped a 1.7 billion euros ($2.3 billion) fine on eight major banks, including Deutsche Bank, RBS and JPMorgan, for rigging interest rates. German Deutsche Bank, involved in rigging the Euribor and Japanese yen Tibor rates, was fined a total of 725 million euros, while the French Societe Generale was fined 446 million euros for manipulating the European ...
Winds: From the East at 8 MPH
Terry Zwigoffs Bad Santa is a no-holds-barred misanthropic black comedy that takes every cherished clich of Christmas movies and stands them on their head. Crass, crude, vulgar, and often side-splittingly hilarious, this is a movie that makes no excuses for itself or even attempts to find redemption for its slovenly alcoholic antihero. The one binding characteristic of virtually all Christ ... ...
Vancouver StarVancouver Star | Late Breaking News in Vancouver and BC
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Vancouver news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Vancouver Star is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Vancouver.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Vancouver weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Vancouver Star is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
Medtronic that senses and records brain activity at the same time it delivers therapy to treat Parkinson’s symptoms, essential tremors and epilepsy, the company announced ...
Edina -based company said it was implementing a new capital allocation policy that preserves a strong balance sheet and prevents unnecessary dilution. Investors reacted negatively to the news. Regis shares, which had been climbing in recent weeks, fell about 5 percent in early trading Thursday. The company said it had issued $120 million of 5.75 percent senior, unsecured notes due 2017. Regis ...
PORTLAND, Ore. -- The environmentally friendly construction certification process known as LEED has been around for more than a decade, powering a green arms race in cities across the nation. The rating system is an industry force, certifying thousands of buildings and providing a powerful marketing tool, tax breaks and other incentives to builders eager to cash in on the eco-friendly craze. ...
WASHINGTON - House Speaker John Boehner says the farm bill should be extended through January while negotiators work out differences on cuts to food stamps and how to restructure farm subsidies. Negotiators are working against a New Year's deadline for expiration of some dairy subsidies. If those subsidies expire, new laws will kick in that could result in higher prices for a gallon of ...
I love covering trials, which is one reason I've been a little sad since switching over to the Wall Street beat: Few of the bad guys in this world ever even get interviewed by the authorities, much less indicted, so trials are comically rare. But we did have one last year, a big one, and though it was boring and jargon-laden enough on the surface that at least one juror fought sleep in its ...
NEW YORK (AP) -- Stocks are mostly lower on Wall Street in early trading as retailers report weak results. Aeropostale fell after reporting a loss in the third quarter as the teen retailer slashed prices in an effort to pull in shoppers. L Brands, the owner of Victoria's Secret and Bath & Body Works, fell after reporting that its sales dropped 5 percent last month. The Dow Jones ...
NEW YORK -- Stocks are mostly lower on Wall Street in early trading as retailers report weak results.Aeropostale fell after reporting a loss in the third quarter as the teen retailer slashed prices in an effort to pull in shoppers. L Brands, the owner of Victoria's Secret and Bath & Body Works, fell after reporting that its sales dropped 5 percent last month.The Dow Jones industrial ...
NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- The euro jumped to its highest level against the dollar in a month on Thursday after European Central Bank President Mario Draghi said the ECB doesn't have any immediate plans to ease policy ...
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Apple Inc. took the spotlight Thursday, rallying on news of a much-awaited deal with China Mobile, while the broader tech sector got a boost from gains in semiconductor ...
Thousands of fast food and retail workers went on strike across the US on Thursday in a signal of the growing clamour for action on income equality. In Chicago, hundreds of protesters gathered outside a McDonalds at 6.15am. As a large "Christmas Grinch" ambled about in freezing temperatures, demonstrators chanted for the minimum wage to be increased to $15 per hour. It was the first ...
Reported in the press
When it comes to Iran's nuclear weapons program, the only difference between them is this: Ahmadinejad was a wolf in wolf's clothing, Rouhani is a wolf in sheep's clothing, a wolf who thinks he can pull the wool over the eyes of the international community.
The chief lobbyist for the National Retail Federation was speaking about talks to end the U.S. government shutdown.
Have Your Say
How well is the U.S. Congress performing in its efforts to re-open the U.S. government?
News ReleasesThe Vancouver Star.com News Release Publishing Service provides a medium for circulating your organization's news.
Wrest Point Hotel & Casino, Hobart, Australia
This 4 star hotel, casino and entertainment complex is situated on the foreshores of Sandy Bay in Hobart, the capital ...Keep reading
The film adaptation of 'Fifty Shades of Grey' has commenced filming in Vancouver, it has been revealed.
E.L. James, the author, shared a photo featuring a slate during the 1st roll on Instagram with the caption "Action!"
According to E!Online, the producer, Dana Brunetti re-tweeted James' picture, and wrote that they were off.
Screenwriter Kelly Marcel also tweeted her well-wishes and wrote that she was thinking of team 50. (ANI)
- Campaign to downsize Australian public broadcaster gathers steam
- Joint LNG purchase strategy being looked at by India and Japan
- Higher oil exports help US narrow trade deficit
- Internet search engine Google begins making own robots
- China Mobile among three carriers to bag 4G licences
- Alacer Gold lifts guidance at flagship Turkish mine
- Eskom reports progress in Kusile coal talks emerging miner strategyEskoms Brain Dames and Kannan Lakmeeharan on the Kusile coal talks and its coal industry transformation plan. Camera Work Nicholas Boyd. Editing Shane Williams. Recorded 5.12.201
- Mining in west Africa Where’s our cut
- Mining Fracking And Drilling Have Changed Public Lands From Carbon Sinks To Carbon Polluters
- Mason Graphite reports 658 increase in measured and indicated mineral resources to 50 million tonnes including 6.7 million tonnes grading 32.4 Cg
- New match-making site finds men who pay for womens food on dates
- Boehner says farm bill should be extended as lawmakers hold talks on food stamps subsidies
- Fast Food Workers Strike Pictures Of Fast Food Wage Protests In Over 100 US Cities PHOTOS
- US fast-food workers strike over low wages in nationwide protests
- Fast-food workers strike protest for higher pay
- Cannabis can cause man boobs US surgeon claims
- U.S. charges 49 Russian diplomats with healthcare fraud
- Syria top priority for Red Cross in 2014 despite limited access
- European drug trial secrecy case hit by delay
- Many in U.S. Clueless About Their Diabetes Risk
- SC to states Make laws to prevent milk adulteration
- News Byte Sprint Tests Hands-Free Interactive Retail Display
- In NewsCred A Native Ad Tech Stack Starts To Take Shape
- REFILE-UPDATE 1-Promotions revamp helps Jos. A. Bank boost November sales
- Leafs Bozak out indefinitely with oblique injury Kessel to play vs. Stars
- Danny Wells character actor and co-star of Super Mario Bros. dies at 72
- Amazing Spider-Man 2 trailer released
- These diamond boots cost $3.19M
- Helene St. James Red Wings should trade Quincey
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Vancouver Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Video Scuba Claus arrives early at Vancouver Aquarium
- Feds told to work harder with aboriginal groups on energy projects
- Tim Hortons boss accused of cheating Filipino workers for OT
- Woman in critical condition after hit and run in North Vancouver
- Delta senior sent home from ER in night taxi still angry